Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sugaring #3


7 1/2 Gallons of Sap
The last 2 days have been very productive.  The sap is a flowing and the snow is a melting.  We still have tons of snow, but with each 40 degree day more and more disappears.  Yesterday was my son's 5th Birthday (we are having his party this weekend), he and I went out to collect sap with the 4-wheeler and because the snow was so squishy we got it stuck.  I am glad that we have a winch on it, so we were able to get unstuck.  Unfortunately my finger got in the way a bit and I now have no feeling in my ring finger on my left hand.  (typing is a bit challenging)  It was already a damaged finger, but that is a different story all together.  Let's just say it is a very unlucky finger. 

Any way we were able to pull 2.5 gallons yesterday and 2 more today for a total of 7.5 gallons so far.  I am glad that I am off tomorrow, so I can start boiling as I am running out of milk jugs to recycle.  Good thing we drink a lot of milk around here and that I work at a day care where the kids drink a lot of milk. 

I am actually excited to see how much we'll get with this batch.  I know I have read that to get one gallon you need 30-40 gallons of sap.  My brother-in-law says that he gets a ratio of about 14/1 so we'll see what we get.  It would be nice to get a good amount.  Tonight is supposed to stay warm, so I am praying that it doesn't mess up the flow too bad.  After tonight, it is going to be cold at night again, so maybe just one night won't goof things up. 

1 comment:

  1. Ours slowed today. I'm hoping it picks back up because this is one of the first years we've been prepared.

    Happy 5th birthday to your son! I have a 6 year old, its a fun age.

    ReplyDelete