Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sugaring #2

This morning before work I hiked out to the woods to check on our taps, mostly to see if any critter met it's fate in our buckets. To my thanks no critters and to my surprise - sap! We had sap already and yesterday wasn't even that nice of a day. It was frozen in the buckets, so I left them for tonight. When the kids and I got home from work, we hiked out to the trees and low and behold - more sap. We have now collected exactly 1 gallon from 5 taps. The taps in the red maples aren't doing anything, but those sugars are dripping nicely. It was really fun to see the kids so excited to check out each bucket to see if we had production. We'll go check them a couple of times tomorrow to see how the flow is. I have to work this weekend, so I'm not sure when I'll be starting the boiling process. Until then, the sap is safely in milk jugs sitting in the mounds of snow we have in the front of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment