Thursday, April 1, 2010

First Day of No Socks & Turkey Reports

Today I broke out my flip flops to wear to work. (I'm surprised that it has taken me this long to break them out this year.) I must be whimping out as I get older. Who knows?


Spring is definitely here as our household enters the tradition of the "Turkey Report." This goes on between Scott and I and our friend Steve as the guys start preparing for their upcoming Spring Turkey seasons. I usually hunt also, but this year I have way to much stuff at work to worry about to be able take time off for Turkey hunting. I'm a bit bummed. Oh well, I can still get up just before light and sit out on our deck to see if there is anyone out there "Talking." Can't wait to hear that gobble in the morning again. I had my first report to Scott this morning as I came across 2 jakes and 2 hens on my way to work. Pretty cool. Scott's season is in 2 weeks so we'll hit it hard core next week listening in the morning and at night to see if we can put any birds to bed.


Yesterday I was off from work and the kids and I spent most of the day outside. We did some more hauling of wood and raked up leaves. We uncovered my Hosta beds which are in the terraced garden along our driveway leading up to the house. We got most of the backyard raked up from the leaves and sticks that came down when we took that back tree down. The kids took turns raking with the little rake; Adin and Elle have the concept of raking into the pile, but Lizzy had her own ideas yesterday. :)


I also started on the process to empty and dig up the buried cistern that we found in the back yard that used to collect rain water. Great idea, but not a great spot when you have 3 small children. We don't need anyone falling in. This system has not been in use for about a year at least (or when ever the previous owner put in the new gutters on the house) seeing as the piping isn't connected to any downspout anymore. So... when I opened it yesterday to see if it was still frozen or not I found a handful of dead, gross mice in various stages of thawing. Most of the water was good to go, I was able to haul out 18 - 5 gallon buckets out of there until the ice chunk was too big to go any further down in the barrel which is cone shaped. So then I just started digging around the outside in preparation for hauling the slimy thing out. I'm all for collecting rain water for watering gardens and plants, but when it has been sitting so long and has become a mass grave site for rodents, that is when I say OK time to get ride of the thing. I am however going to try and do a regular rain barrel for watering in the future, just not a buried one that my kids could fall into.


No comments:

Post a Comment