Monday, April 26, 2010

Sod

What an evening. I got home from work and went right out to the "garden" or future site of, and started cutting sod. This would be easy with one of those nice little sod cutters, but no - I'm doing it with a flat shovel. After I cut the outer line on 3 sides I started pealing the sod back. I actually got some pretty nice sod rolls. They were cool.

When Scott and the kids got home, the kids joined me in the sod cutting department and Scott started sodding the spots where we had stumps taken out. We were glad that we could reuse the sod instead of just composting it. Now I just hope that it will take and thrive and not just die on us.

While pealing sod, I discovered an oddity in our yard/future garden site. In one area I was hitting hard spots that just wouldn't peal with the shovel. Come to find out.... that area is riddled with garden stakes. Who puts garden stakes in the middle of the yard that are about 1 inch under the sod. Very strange and frustrating. I think I pulled up about 6-8 of them in 15 minutes. At least I'll get to reuse those also. :) We got a lot done tonight, but we have a really long way to go. Hopefully tomorrow when I get home from work I'll be able to get some more sod cut and rolled.

Once all the sod is removed Scott is going to try and use our 4Wheeler and the plow attachment to slowly level the area an move the top soil around so we won't have to do as much shoveling. I hope and pray that this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment