Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Garbage Can Potatoes

Garbage can potatoes sounds like a strange combination of words to me, but after doing some online research into it, I am a big fan. All you have to do is take a 30 gal. garbage can (it can be and old one that has holes in the bottom or a brand new one, makes no difference) and drill 1/2 inch holes in the bottom and up the sides 3-6 inches for drainage. Fill the the can with about 10 inches of soil and plant your starters. As the plants grow keep adding compost/soil/etc. to cover the stem (the leaves need to keep showing) - this takes the place of mounding the potatoes. Once they are ready to harvest, just dump the can out on a tarp and pick out the potatoes. No digging needed! I've read that this works well seeing as how potatoes like loose rich soil, they can't be planted in the same soil year after year because of decease that may occur and it saves space in the garden from these "space hogs." I am very excited to try this for my potatoes and sweet potatoes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anna,

    I love this idea! Thanks so much for the tip. I dug trenches in my garden thinking that I was saving myself from the "mounding" but this is great.

    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Daphne,
    Glad that you like the tip. I was way excited about it when I found the idea. It is a great space saver and I don't have to dig potatoes in the fall, just dump them out. :)
    ~Anna

    ReplyDelete