Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Demo

So Scott started the hard demo on this gross little building, and I got to finish it. :) After I dug some more holes around the gate poles yesterday afternoon (Scott has to help me pull them out - it is a 2 person job), I tackled the walls of the out building.

First I started using the crowbar to take off the half log siding on one side, but then I decided that using the maul would be much less time consuming and a ton more fun. So after a lot of pounding and swinging of that maul way above my head in some spots and a pretty bruised up finger, all the siding was off.


We want to save the 2x4's so I couldn't just pound away on those, so back to the crowbar. Most of them were pretty easy to just pull down once I got the top support boards off. Now we just have to clean up the mess and bust apart the flooring. There must have been carpenter ants or something that likes to eat woods in the walls, because there are a couple of cool looking 2x4's from one of the front corners. I don't think that we'll be using either of those spongy boards again. Poor Maya (our Chessy) has been fervently trying to get the red squirrels and chipmunks that have been running between the old out building and the now piles of lumber and junk to the old dog house about 8 feet away. She is bound and determined to get them, maybe in her younger years, but not now.

It is nice to be able to see the valley from the kitchen window. I know that it won't always be unobstructed like that, but when we put the new shed in next year it will be down about 2-3 feet after we cut into and level that part of the hill, so we should still be able to see a good part of the valley.

It was different to come home today and see the trees down. It really opens up our back yard, even though it looks strange. We now have a ton of work cutting up those big trees (which all had heart rot is some stage). We should have a good amount of firewood for a couple of years. Now just to get the outdoor wood stove next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment