Thursday, March 4, 2010

Garden Contents

After much contemplation we have come up with a tentative list of what we are going to plant. This may change after we get the soil tested and after I can see how well I can get the garden soil worked up with the right components, but it's a start.

The winners are: Sunflowers and Tomatoes (for Adin), Sugar Snap Peas (for Scott), Green Peppers, Carrots, Parsley, Cilantro, Green Beans, Cucumbers (I'm going to try making Grandma Delores' Mustard Pickles - Yum), Chives and Onions, Asparagus, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, a Pumpkin or 2, Squash, Watermelon, Broccoli, Lettuce and Spinach. Now just to decide what varieties of each of these. My sister and I will be splitting some seed packs so it will be a joint decision for some of these. I'm always open to suggestions on what kinds taste the best seeing as how I'm a novice at this.

I also want to build some sort of an arch over the door into the garden to plant some climbing flowers. Hopefully that will be an easy project in comparison to the rest of the garden. After doing some online research I'm pretty sure that we are going to do raised beds. That way we won't be walking on our "growing soil" or dirt (Just had to throw that in for my mom, we always have that argument - mostly in joking. I like to say dirt just to bug her.) and we'll have more control of the texture and contents of the soil for each bed to better accommodate each type of planting. Also there will be more defined walking paths for the kids and hopefully it will lead to less stepped on plants in their beginning stages.

With the weather being so wonderful (in the 40's) it really gets me excited to get out and dig in the dirt. :) Unfortunately we still have multiple feet of snow in some areas of our yard so I'm still just digging in the snow. Yuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment