Saturday, March 6, 2010

Hello Sun - Goodbye Snow!

The last couple of days it has been so hard to not develop spring fever. I don't think that I have ever had it this bad before. Yikes! The warm temps and the snow melting away is so wonderful. Scott and I were wandering around our yard the other day while the kids made "snow castles", trying to figure out the trees that need to come down in a few weeks. I am sad at the thought that some big old oaks have to come down, but they are too close to the house and have some serious heart rot running through them. It is better to take them down now, before they take down our house and I'm going to be planting some other trees around the yard later. We want some fun flowering trees like a couple crab apples and such.

There are 2 oaks right next to a stepped retaining wall hosta bed, that once they are down and the stumps ground up, I'm going to move my lily bed from the old house and put it there and I'll probably move the lily/day lily bed at the new how there also to make room for the veggie garden. There is also a hydrangea bed with about 4 or 5 nice plants in it and that bed is staying put. Those things are so hard to get going that I'm not going to disturb them seeing as how they are doing well right where they are. I can't wait to see what color they are... couldn't really tell when we moved in last fall.

The last few days I've been doing some research on Root cellars. I needed to know what the characteristics are that make for a good one and the things that we need to do to ours to get it ready. We were thinking about pouring concrete over the sand floor so it would be less messy, but now I know that if I do that (which I can) the natural humidity that a dirt floor provides will be gone, so maybe we'll just cover the sand with gravel. I also discovered that the temp in our cellar is pretty spot on. It has stayed about 38-40 degrees this week which is pretty good. Now we just need to work on the vent system and make sure that works and put together some shelving. Also I think that the door/entrance needs some work (maybe a bit of smoothing out). To get into our root cellar you have to crawl through an opening on your hands and knees that has been cut through the block wall (really rough) and then jump down about 2.5 to 3 feet to the floor. There is a good amount of work to be done down there, but the backbone is good and I love the fact that you don't have to go outside to get to it, just down to the basement and through the small door. That will be nice in the middle of the winter when it is freezing cold here.

I talked to my Grandma the other day to see if I could borrow her big cooker that she has always used for canning and she said yes. So excited. She also told me that she has a ton of quart jars that I can have. Major score, now I just have to go down there and crawl around in her crawl space. Yeah for Grandma's. Now just to get some great recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment