Thursday, May 26, 2011

Trial Run

Today I actually made and canned my baked beans.  I cut down the recipe to make only 4 pints (because that is what fits in my vintage canner) and began canning.  It took a while, and Adin almost missed the bus because I wasn't watching the clock the way I should have, but now we have 4 nice looking pints cooling on the counter.  After this batch I am not near as scared of a pressure canner as I was in the past.  It was actually very simple, now just to try them and see how they taste.  If they are good, I'll make some more, if not....back to the drawing board.

Update:  Beans were pretty good, not as sweet as I would have liked and the sauce was pretty runny.  But.. all in all for a trial run they were good.  I have found a few more recipes that I will be trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment