Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hummingbird Happiness

Every spring I look forward to the return of our hummingbirds.  Here on the "farm" so to speak, we have some very chatty, terriorial, and curious hummingbirds.  They are always entertaining.  This year is no different.  I always put up 2 feeders for them to cut down on the violent fighting.  Who would have thought that little tiny hummingbirds can be so agressive.  "Holy cows" as Adin would say.  It is fun to be out in the yard or the garden and hear their little chirping throughout the yard, to see them flitting around the feeders and zooming through the air. 

Yesterday I had a pleasant surprise.  I was watering one corner of the garden with the hose on a soft cone spray and all of a sudden one cheery little male humming bird flew right into the fine mist in the middle and chirpped happily in the water.  I wish I had a good camera to be able to get a picture of him, it was the coolest thing to watch.  He sure seemed truly happy playing in the water, just like my kids on a hot summers day giggling away.  I had to chuckle at his anticts and can most definately say that you don't see that every day, but I hope I will get to see him playing in the water again.

No comments:

Post a Comment