Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Productive Pickle Day

Today was a productive day I believe. My 17 lbs of cucumbers are now 12 quarts and 11 pints of dill pickles. All jars successfully sealed also. Today I felt a bit of connection with my history as I canned with my Grandmother's Boiling-Water Canner and my Great Grandma's green jars. They are the coolest things and I'm sure that they aren't made anymore. Scott asked why I was using them if they were antiques and I told him that Great Grandma Anna probably would be a bit sad if we didn't use them. She was a very no nonsense practical person. She even cut a chunk of netting out of her wedding veil because she needed some netting for something. I think that she would be happy that I'm using this old stuff for everyday uses. I am going to be darn careful with those jars though.

2 comments:

  1. I would agree that turning 17 lbs of cucumbers into pickles makes for a very productive day indeed. I think it's great that you still have items handed down from your grandmother and even great grandmother. No pictures of these antique jars? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get a photo of those jars posted for you soon. :) They are a lovely blue/green teal color with fabulous little air bubbles in the glass.

    ReplyDelete