Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Peanuts Violated

So last night I went out to start digging into the reclaiming of the garden after the weekend and I discovered that my peanuts (who I had been babying and praying would produce) had been violated. Over the weekend something small got into the garden and ate all of my peanuts. Not the plants, those are still nicely planted, but there is a small trench all the way around every plant and beautiful peanut shells all over the garden. I am very sad. We so hoped to be able to make peanut butter this fall if we got any and here they actually grew peanuts and now they are gone. Dang Nabbit!

Today the girls and I are going to dive into another round of making pickles. Hopefully this batch turns out better then the first. We have 17 lbs. of cucumbers to pickle.

I have been searching for a good spaghetti sauce recipe so I am able to can up my tomatoes in it. Our family loves spaghetti so that is my plan for the tomatoes. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

Here is the pics I promised of my start of the tomato harvest and my very sad little Adin after he kissed the tree. He is doing much better today.





















3 comments:

  1. What do you think got into your peanuts? Squirrels? Rabbits? Voles? As furry and cute as these creatures may be to some people, I've been calling them all evil pests since I started gardening this year. Ugh, gardening is hard enough with all the variables in weather, soil, seeds, bugs, etc, we don't need to worry about harvest thieves, too! Your son is cute, but looks so sad in that picture - did he really run into a tree?

    Your harvest pic is beautiful, by the way. Those heirloom tomatoes are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My money is on the Chipmonks around here. They are fearless and a major pain in the butt. It is soon time to wage war on them. I even had one so bold as to run into the basement through the door from the garage just as I opened the door. What a pest. I can't complain too much about the predation, this is the only trouble that I have had so far, so I'm pretty lucky. And thanks about the tomatoes. I'm pretty happy with them. The huge ones are growing with my asparagas, so they are very happy. Adin is doing much better now, no more swelling and the scabs are gone from his lip. He still credits it all to ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. An unexpected update on my peanuts. When I went to dig up the plants a few weeks ago to get the beds ready for winter, I discoved that some of my plants had produced a couple more peanuts after they were violated earlier in the summer. Granted we didn't get enough to do anything with, but the kids had fun looking for any survivors.

    ReplyDelete