Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Humid Bean Surprises

So over the last few days I have not spent much time outside in the garden as I had been, the humidity has been horrific. I knew that I had bush beans, sugar snap peas and shelling peas that needed to be picked along with bunches of cucumbers. But when at 5:30 am you step outside to almost 80 degrees and 98% humidity you know it is going to be a rough day. That is how it has been for the last few days. MAJOR YUCK! Well yesterday was no different (actually it was the worst day yet) until about 3:30 or so when a 10 minute storm rolled through, dumped a ton of rain and broke some of the humidity.

I took advantage....I got about a half gallon of sugar snap peas or more, a number of cucumbers, about another cup and a half of shelled peas and some HUGE green beans. I had been afraid that that was going to happen. Here is where my surprise comes in. I thought that at that size they would be getting kind of tough, nope they were wonderful. I also discovered that my bean plants, which I thought were winding down for the year are getting their 2nd wind - I have an entirely new batch of flowers on them. Way fun. My kids love the fresh beans and as I was picking some baby carrots for supper the kids kept raiding my basket of beans. These raids continued right up until I put the beans in the steamer to cook them for supper. At least they had a great healthy snack and they still ate supper. I was a pretty happy mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment