Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sunflowers and garden tours by Lizzy

So my Lizzy has become very interested in the goings on of the garden. She knows where
everything is right down to the smallest watermelon. and she loves giving tours of the garden. She also loves harvesting things and more so eating them.












Most of my raised beds are still going great guns although the heat has taken it's toll on a lot of things. Next year I'm going to make a move able shade for the tomatoes and the cucumbers (both of which got pretty sun burnt this year.) I'm also going to increase the size of the pea trellis and the amount of peas I plant to make a pea tunnel. My nephews are fond of those and I'm sure my kids would get a kick of of it also.

Just yesterday I realized that I never put in a picture of my composting barrel now that it is mostly done. Here it is.... We took an old bear bait barrel (yes, i said bear bait - Scott and I are both bear hunters.) drilled air and drainage hole in it and holes for the pipe and mounted it into the 4x4's. I am still going to be painting the 4x4's as well as the barrel to match the garden posts and I'm hoping to add a second barrel (maybe after this bear season - not sure) so I can have compost in 2 different stages. It works really well to flip it end over end (it can be a bit heavy when it is full, but that is ok - it's a good work out.) But it gets and stays nice and hot and I have already gotten some good compost out of there.


























































No comments:

Post a Comment