Saturday, September 8, 2012

New Kids On The Block

No, I am not talking about the boy band from the 80's,
I am talking about our 28 new fluffy little chicks who call our coop home. 

 They arrived bright and early on Thursday morning to our local post office, just a peeping away. 
There are 1 Buff Orpington named Gold Finch, 
1 Australop named Fancy (from the Fancy Nancy books that my girls love so much) 
and 26 Cornish Crosses all named "Nugget."  I am not going to individually name them all, only to eat them in a couple of months.


Even at just 5 or 6 days old they are already acting like "Big Kids" and getting the hang of roosting. 


The kids love to spend time just hanging out and chatting with these little fluffy guys and gals. 
This next week, a couple of luck little chicks may even get to make a trip to my preschool to visit my class.
It is colors week and would be a fun thing to add to the rest of out stuff.

The big girls and roo next door keep trying to catch a peek at the new neighbors. 
I keep telling them, all in good time.  
I am always amazed at how fast they grow, especially the meat chicks.  They are already showing signs of being bigger then the 2 layers.  Fancy has taken to napping in the feed dish to insure she never gets left out when it comes to food.  I think that is pretty smart when you are the smallest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment