Sunday, September 9, 2012

Acorn Flour - The Begining

Today the girls and I decided to pick acorns and try and make acorn flour.  I knew we wouldn't actually get to the flour making part today, but I at least wanted to get some picked.  Adin didn't want anything to do with it, he was going "red squirrel hunting" with his bow. 

After about a half and hour/twenty minutes, the girls gave up and joined their brother (he had given up on the "hunting").  It was pretty tough sledding under some of trees as there must have been an acorn party with the deer and the squirrels last night because all of the acorns had bites out of them.


This is really what the kids ended up doing.... sledding.... under the trees, on the grass.  Have I ever mentioned that I have strange children sometimes?  Gotta love 'em.

After searching half of the yard I collected 5 lbs (an ice cream bucket full) of acorns.  Now I just have to toss out the squishy ones and the ones with worm holes in, shell them and look for more worms and start the grinding and the boiling. 

Updates later to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment