Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Silence of the Woods

In a mere short couple of hours I will be peacefully sitting in a tree, bow in hand, enjoying the silence that surrounds me. I can not wait! At lunch today (made by Adin - is first mac and cheese almost completely by himself), Scott commented on how it wasn't quiet out today which is good for bow hunting. I reminded him that I wasn't talking about natures noise, I was talking about one 4 year old and two 2 year old's noise. This time of year has always been a favorite of mine, whether it is bear hunting or deer hunting, I love the time that I get to just sit in the tree and wait. It is during those times that I am able to recenter, collect my thoughts and chat with God uninterrupted. It is lovely - the wind in the trees, the birds that haven't flown south, the red and gray squirrels. This year there are no acorns and the bugs are done for the year which is good. I don't even mind the tree swaying a bit anymore. When I first started sitting in a tree, I was way nervous and a bit un-trusting of the tree and the stand. I have now found new trust in the stands that we are using, my ability to use tree steps or the climber (I like my climber best) and a new love and appreciation for the trees.

There is also the plus side of potentially getting a shot off on a deer (no bear hunting this year). Around my stand there has been a nice 6 pointer and a couple groups of doe. One is a group of two and they are pretty calm tempered along with the single doe hanging around. The group of three are much more jumpy and skittish, so we'll see who shows up near the stand tonight. This is my first night out in the tree in two years for bow season so it will be great no matter what happens. We are in desperate need of some venison soon, I think we are down to our last pound of burger in the freezer and we have no steaks or roasts left. This is perfect curing weather also, upper 30's to low 40's during the day and below freezing at night. Last year was the first year we cured our venison longer this way and even my old buck was nice and tender. Way good.

Scott has been out most mornings and nights so far in November. He started out not being picky (just needing meat), but that changed last night when a really nice buck crossed his path and brush got in the way. Scott was not a happy camper when he got home last night. Now he has buck fever for this one particular buck. Hopefully he'll be able to narrow him down.

Other than the wonderful evening ahead, today has been a pretty productive day for me. Pantry is cleaned and organized (lots more room in there than I thought before I cleaned it - I guess another shopping trip is in order for the basics) Fridge is cleaned out and spotless, laundry is in progress and a couple load of dishes have been done. Now to tackle my tupper ware drawer! That is a scary drawer. So I best be off. I'll be sure to update on my hunting outcomes as I go. I hope others are able to get out and enjoy nature in what ever way they see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment