Saturday, April 5, 2014

April Showers.... Um.... April Blizzards?

It just doesn't seem like April in Wisconsin without a blizzard at some point.  Yes this winter is getting long, but it's days are numbered.  Thursday and Friday were lovely this week, well not really.  I think in the 18 hour period we got well over 12 inches of snow (my sister got over 18 - so I'm not complaining) but now the sun is shining and the slush and puddles are forming and the snow piles are shrinking.  The blizzardy drive on Friday morning is now only a memory and I am thinking green growth.  I have some seeds sitting in my sun room that are itching to get planted and start growing.  I had planned on starting them a few weeks ago, but there was just too much snow outside.  Now, I don't care.  Gardening is relaxing for me, my escape, and I need an escape right now.  Is anyone trying anything new this year?  I am going to try sugar beets.  Just for something interesting and to see if I can actually make sugar.  I know it can be done and is done, obviously, but I want to see if "I" can do it.  If it doesn't work, I'll just feed them to the deer or chickens or what ever other critter wants them, "Pigs" if that happens this summer.  Who knows yet.  Someday.  Our list of "someday" things keeps growing: pigs, green house, shelves in my root cellar, fencing in part of the side yard & field for the dogs.  It just seems like more important things keep popping up: new brakes on the car or truck, new tires, back surgery, broken arm on a little girl, school.  At least we have a plan and are working toward it.  So... April Showers/blizzards bring something.... that is just yet to be determined.  Happy Spring all.

No comments:

Post a Comment