Sunday, August 26, 2012

Chicken First Aid

A few days ago when I went to check on the chickens and refill their food and water I noticed blood all over the inside of the coop.  At first I thought, "Ok - who is beating up on who?", but then I realized that it was a foot.  Somehow, Cricket punctured the bottom of her foot.  So first responder me, scooped her up and took her to the house. 

Adin and I dug out the first aid stuff (neosporin, gauze and coban).  We cleaned of her foot, put some neosporin on the gauze and worked that in good. Than took the bright pink coban that was left over from our days of showing cattle when I was a kid - it was still unopened- and wrapped up her foot.  Ms. Cricket, who hasn't liked to be held since she was a chick, just snuggled into my arms the entire time. 

I didn't know how long the pink bandage would stay on, but to my surprise it stayed on with no one bothering it.  Cricket perked up and was her normal self the next day.  Tonight Scott helped me take it off.  I needed assistance as I said, Cricket was back to her normal not wanting to be held self.  When we took it off, she was all healed up and ready to go.  Yay for bright pink coban. 

I know, I am a crazy chicken lady who bandages up her chickens.  I didn't want to lose another one, especially since I could do something about it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment