Friday, July 22, 2011

Show Day at the Fair

Oh the memories. They all came flooding back as the alarm went off at 4:00 AM today. Today it was only to watch my youngest cousin show cattle for the last time as part of the Jr. show at the Trempealeau Co. Fair, but back in the day.... I was the one showing. 

This morning as I packed up the kids, still sleeping, and started my 4.5 -5 hour drive I thought of what all was part of the Friday morning show day prep.  My sis and I were always up early with feeding and washing our animals, cleaning of the barn and lots of primping (the animals - not us).  The primping included lots of time on top lines, blendings, tails and what not.  My sister really became master of the top line, I was good, but not as good as her.  Time was spent milking wifferent quarters on the cows to balance the udder just right, fortunately our cows were pretty balanced to start with.  Then it was a waiting game, keep the cattle clean and wait.  When the time came we dressed in our whites and away we went.  Oh the memories!

Nessa did fabulous with her two heffers.  On her fall yearling she got a 1st blue and on her fall calf she got a 1st blue, Junior Champion Holstein, Supreme Junior Champion and 1st place Sr. Showmanship.  We were all so excited for her.  Adin was beside himself knowing that on Sunday, he would be showing Nessa's winning calf for Lil' Britches Showmanship.  Sunday can't come fast enough for Adin.

No comments:

Post a Comment