Monday, July 11, 2011

Missed the Strawberries

I have been calling the "Berry Line" for a  local "U-pick" to get in on the prime picking for many weeks now (things were running late), and now I have missed it.  The picking season was very short this year.  The prime picking was right after the storm and I could have picked, but would not have been able to process them.  So fortunately they was a special at our local grocery so we picked up a bunch and I got to making jam.

I have never made strawberry jam by my self, but helped my mom and Grandmother's a lot in the past.  I always remember squashing berries in a bowl with the bottom of a glass.  Not this year... I used my food processor.  I loved it, it went so quickly.  I have now canned 2 batches and still have 2 lbs of berries in the fridge.  I think I'll freeze 1 lb as is and eat the other fresh.  The kids love berries, along with veggies and all that.

I also picked what was ready of my sugar snap peas and froze them as well. 

Today I have been thinking a lot about my Bumpa (my Dad's Dad).  It was 10 years ago today that he passed away.  He was a good old Norwegian farmer, who loved family, reading, brownshwager (if that is how you spell it), playing cards and striped overhauls.  I had the blessing of being there when he passed with my Grandmother and my eldest Aunt.  It was very difficult, but I got to say good-bye and that it was time for him to shave (that was always a long standing joke between us.)  I am glad I was there.  I love you Bumpa.

1 comment:

  1. My 8 year old eats them straight out of the freezer.

    I had the same problem, but Dean and I ran over Sunday and picked a few gallons. Most are in the freezer. My youngest has been interesting this week so I didn't want to risk alcoholizing them again.

    ReplyDelete