Saturday, June 4, 2011

Garden Update

Just thought I would do a quick update on the state of the garden.

The shelling and sugar snap peas are growing great guns and have been training themselves to grow on the fence already.  (Don't know if anyone remembers the sun room plants - well Thursday we harvested 1/2 oz of peas from that plant.  Lizzy was excited and boy did they taste good.)

The asparagus is growing great guns (all 10 plants survived the winter - very exciting) and are almost as tall as I am.

The green beans are doing well and had a fairly good germination rate, but the wax beans did not.  Not sure what happened there.  I planted them every other row - I think I'll have to go back and fill in or just wait until early fall to so a second sowing.

My spinach is looking great as well as the volunteer cilantro.  The cilantro that I sowed this year is slow to come up, but it is there.  I also have a few volunteer leaf lettuce plants also.  That was a fun surprise.

The cucumbers are looking great, as are the zucchini and gourds.  The pumpkins and the squash have not had a happy ending.  All of them have died.  They started to well in the sun room this spring.  Hardened them off and planted them in nice mounds, etc.  Dead! Every last one of them.  Frustrating!  Now I'll have to go and get a few more seeds, because I was dumb and started all of them and didn't save any.  Nice going Anna.

The strawberries that I planted are looking great (only 4 plants) but I will get a couple berries this year.  This year is the getting established year. 

The onions and garlic in all different stages are looking good also.  The strong wind and rain we had this week was a little hard on them, but they are perking up.

And then there are the tomatoes!  I have tomatoes everywhere.  Most of them are doing really well.  I had some severe predation going on in one of my beds, but that seems to be over.  I have 3 out of 11 plants that made it through there.  Fortunately I still have a tomato forest in the sun room waiting to be planted - so glad I have extras.

The potatoes are starting to peek out of the soil and are looking wonderful and strong.  I am hoping for a good harvest this year.  I have some planted in garbage cans and some in one of my raised beds.  I just didn't want to spend money on more garbage cans this year.

I'll try and post pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment