Thursday, June 30, 2011

Blueberry Breezes

It is that time of year again when the wild blueberries on our little corner of the world begin to ripen.  Things are just getting started.  Maya and I went for a walk with a bucket today to see how things were doing.  Right behind the barn they were beautiful, bushes were loaded and there was a good start of blue and lots of green.  Up the hill and along the ridge, where it was so good last year, I am very disappointed in this year.  There were lots of flowers this spring, but very few berries.  I did find one good patch up there after 45 minutes of looking and Maya discovered it at the same time.  Boy did she sit right down and start picking too.  It is to bad that her berries never make it to my bucket and I only find dog slobber on bushes when I finally make it to her spot.  Yuck.  At least she likes them too.  I have one more spot to check on.  I am worried that we won't get the couple of gallons that we got last year.  I am praying I find some more good patches.

One thing about blueberry picking is that it is a HOT job.  Blueberries like that sun!  Fortunately we had a nice breeze this morning so it wasn't too bad.  I did come away with 2.25 oz of berries.  It is a start.  Happy picking for others elsewhere.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe a dear got in there? I planted blueberry this year and as soon as the flowers gave way to some kind of berry-like thing the dear ate them down.

    I thought I'd have a bit more time before I needed to net them. Silly me.

    This post reminds me of Blueberries for Sal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a lovely book. :)

    ReplyDelete