Thursday, April 7, 2011

They Live!

The temp today actually got to 61 degrees.  It was wonderful and with it went the snow in my garden.  To what did my wondering eyes appear?  Garlic!  Last summer when I yanked my garlic that did nothing, I didn't get it all and it appeared last fall, so I left it and low and behold, they are alive, a little wet, but alive.  Now I am just waiting until the very waterlogged and some still very frozen beds, thaw and dry to get in there and get things cleaned up.

It really amazed me how many weeds grew/lived under 3 inches of ice then 3 feet of snow all winter long and look as green and hardy as they do in the summer.  Snow really is good insulation.  Uff da!  I am never going to put my garden to bed this way again.  What a mess!  Soggy remnants of plants from last summer all over the place.  I did get a few beds done right, but not enough.  (New garden vow for 2011.)

More "life" to talk about...... Sunday I started pepper seeds, 3 types of pumpkins and some trial tomatoes from seeds I saved from last year.  I already have pumpkins peaking their little faces out of the jiffy pellets.  The kids are so excited.  I also planted some leaf lettuce in a nice pot that is going to sit on the big kitchen deck for the summer.  As of now all of it is on a card table in our sun room.  So far I have been successful at keeping the puppy from using the jiffy pellets as chew toys this time around.  The first time a started or I should say tried to start some tomatoes she found them to make great chew toys.  Oh how I love puppies.  She is lucky she is cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment