Friday, April 22, 2011

Music of the Morning

The last 3 mornings I have been up at 4 AM and in the woods before 5 AM in search of the elusive gobble of the wild turkey.  That sound is the coolest thing to hear just before sunrise as the turkey wakes from its perch high in a tree.  Wednesday morning we were greeted with 1 1/2 to 2 inches of snow and we parked right under the tree that the stinking bird was in.  That bird sat and gobbled in the tree for more than 2 hours and did not want to come down.  Thursday morning was beautiful and perfect for them to gobble, but yet again we parked right under the tree they were in (different tree from the day before) and it was right next to a blacktopped road.  Crazy birds.  Today we had a calm damp morning following a night of rain and there were no gobbles to be heard. 

I did get my shot at a nice tom mid morning on Thursday as he and his 3 hens sauntered down a snowmobile trail right into out set-up.  I aimed, took my shot, rolled him over and he jumped up and ran away.  I sat there and thought, what just happened.  I know I didn't miss.  These things rank up there with geese in the "hard to kill" game bird list.  They are not like your average grouse.  Oh well, at least I got to take a shot, which is more than I have been able to do in the past years that I have been hunting, and I was able to go hunting with Scott and his best friend Steve which hasn't happened since pre-children that all 3 of us have been out together.  We also got to see two wood ducks fly up and land in a tree.  That is something you don't see everyday.  Scott's turkey season was last week and he was able to get a jake.  Better eating than an old tom.

Despite the fact that I was un-successful at bagging my first turkey, I did have the pleasure of listening to the world wake up and the beautiful music of the morning.  As I sat on the edge of a small field under a scruffy bunch of brush with the sun starting to peak over the tree tops and the frost shimmering and sparkling, the world began to awaken.  The constant beat of the woodpeckers that surrounded me and the rhythm of the grouse drumming on their logs looking for their ladies set the back drop to the tune.  The deep rumble of the owls calling, the coo of the morning doves, the honk of the geese flying overhead added their parts.  We also had the solos from the swans and the loons on a far off lake, the song birds as they flit around looking for seed and a random rooster saying good morning from somewhere across the river.  The new green blades of grass peeking up through last years brown and dry blades greeting the sun and showing that spring is truly on the way.  It was truly a beautiful symphony that I know only us few crazy people get to experience as we sit in the woods before dawn.  It is a moment that calms my heart and spirit especially on this Easter weekend as I remember what this time means in my life and I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment