Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Asparagus Saying Hello


Ok, I know it is almost microscopic,
but I was excited.  I am looking forward
to 2012 to be able to harvest any.  Yum!
Yesterday afternoon when I got home from work, I decided to do some weeding of the die hard weeds that seemed to grow over the winter and discovered that my asparagus plants have poked their little faces out of the soil to say hello.  That was a wonderful discovery.  Now I just hope that they don't freeze tonight as it is currently snowing (again) and it is supposed to snow into tomorrow.  Yuck!  I guess that is what I get for living in Wisconsin and northern Wisconsin for that matter. 

All of my raised beds but one are ready to plant.  I do have to move my fence for my peas to climb over to the other side of the bed, that way I can make a pea tunnel between two beds.  Hope it works out.  Last summer the peas grew out of vertical climbing space so hopefully this will fix that. 

This weekend my sister told me that our tomato seedlings are doing well.  She always has great germination.  Between the 2 of us we have about 140 Roma seedlings.  I know I wanted lots of tomatoes for my spaghetti sauce and what not, but 70 plants for me will be a lot.  Good thing I can take some to work and let the day care kids plant some outside to watch them grow.  We also have cherry tomatoes and another slicer.  Holy tomatoes!  My pepper seedling are slowly coming along in my sun room.  Each day I find another one that has sprouted.  The pumpkins are going wild, had to pot them up about 2 weeks or so ago and my squash that I just started are also starting to sprout.  My sun room smells like a green house.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment