Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bee in the Freezer

No, I did not put a real bee in the freezer.  Our roo, Bumblebee, met the butcher block today.  He had taken on a bit of an attitude and seemed to enjoy attacking all members of our family.  Time to do with him what was intended from the start.  I have to admitt that I had never butchered a chicken before.  Scott has done a lot of ducks and turkeys over the years, but he was heading out for the late doe only season with his brother, so I tackeled this one alone.  What a process!  I do hope that it will get easier with practice and with a future chicken plucker (to be built next summer).  I started hand plucking (we have been saving feathers for my mom and her craftiness), then just decided to skin him.  Personally I don't like to eat chicken skin, but Scott does.  I guess I win this time, I just went for quick.  Now he is resting comfortably in the freezer until we decide to have him for supper.  I didn't weigh him, but he was good sized.  Next spring we are thinking about getting a bunch of meat chicks.  We shall see how things goes, but I really like the idea of raising and hunting our own meat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment