Saturday, March 2, 2013

Sugaring Time Is Here

Things are warming up.  We are starting to see day time temps up above the freezing level and night time temps are still below freezing.  What does this mean?  Well, it is time to dust off the rubber mallet, taps and buckets.  I am going to tap some Maple trees this afternoon.

Last spring sprung really fast and we totally missed sugaring season here in the northwoods.  Seeing has how we just opened out last pint jar of syrup from 2011, we need a good sweet season.  I am hoping to get at least 70 gallons of sap this year if not more.  We will just have to see what out 8 taps will do. 

Off to the woods I go.
I will keep you all updated on the flow.

2 comments:

  1. How's it going? I've had a tap up for a few weeks and that day long warm snap turned cold on me. There's been nothing out there until this weekend. Half of this week everything's been frozen!

    Hope you're on your way to your 70 gallons. I'll be happy for a few pints in the fridge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tam
    We started out really SLOW. Now the last few weeks have been rocking. I think that this will be the last week for the run. One good thing out of all of this cruddy weather is that it has been good sugaring. I have lost count of how many gallons of sap we have collected as my dear Hubby has been doing a lot of the collecting for me because I have a herniated disk and he hasn't kept track. I do think that we have surpassed the 70 gallons. So far I have 12 pints of syrup canned with about 26+ more gallons to boil down. Hope you were able to get some syrup.
    ~Anna

    ReplyDelete