Saturday, January 29, 2011

Baking Day

I love Saturday's like this, a day we don't have to be anywhere and one where the kids and I can spend the day creating in the kitchen. The first project of the day was dishes from last night~yes, I will admit it, we left the dinner dishes until this morning. Yesterday was a really long day for both Scott and I. I didn't get home from work until after 7 pm and yesterday was supposed to be a day off. Oh well. So the kids and I did teamwork; I washed, Adin dried and the girls put away what the could reach and set the rest on the counter. It worked great and it was fun.

Our first baking project was a new muffin recipe that I received from a friend's blog, This Mom's Cooking. Dareth and I used to work together back in the day at camp and she has this fabulous cooking blog. Our family has used many of her recipes. The star of the morning was her Banana-Carrot Muffins and boy was that good. The kids couldn't wait until they were done. We used shredded carrots from our garden and homemade apple sauce. They are actually very healthy also, which as a mom I like. We then went on to our favorite Pumpkin Muffins that disappear as soon as they are cool. Fortunately today, I will be able to store some of them as the kids ate the Banana-Carrot ones already. I made a double batch - first one done and second in the oven right now.

~ Oh time out ~ Timer is going off. ~

My next project is to uncover a frozen pumpkin or two from our deck (they are buried under a foot or more of snow and ice right now. It may be a challenge) to cut up, clean out and bake for some more frozen pumpkin for these muffins. We are running low in the freezer. I also have been promising a friend that I would get some to her.

Things have been a bit different around here the last couple of weeks as we no longer have a microwave. One morning I put something in to warm up and it started popping and sparking so I thought right away that I had flaked out and put something in there that was mettle. Nope. I was a pretty exciting moment as I unplugged it and ran it downstairs into the garage where then a few days later it went to the dump. The sad think was that we had to pay $15 to get rid of it and back when I bought it, it probably didn't cost much more. I have had that thing since I was a Sophomore in college back in 1995. I'd say it served us well. I am getting used the not having a microwave. We can cook just fine without one, although I think that Scott is getting antsy to get a new one. I also like having more counter space and being able to leave the Bread Machine out on the counter.

Well I best get to the pumpkins and planning supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment